It is generally synonymous with Islamic extremism, and has many similarities to Protestant fundamentalism.
Links and other items having to do with Islam as an abusive force should probably be moved here; the Islam page is (ultimately) for items about the religion itself, according to its own written scripture and doctrines.
It is not clear what the relationships are between Islamofascism, genuine Islamic fundamentalism, and Islamism. As with many religions, a literal or fundamentalist interpretation of Islamic doctrine would seem to be essentially fascistic in nature, in that:
- it considers individual needs less important than unquestioning adherence
- it seeks to promote unity of cultural and religious attributes
Hence "Islamic fundamentalism" is essentially a form of fascism, and so the term redirects here. Discussion on the relationship between these two terms is welcome, however.
- Conservapedia redirects to Jihadism, which it also considers to be synonymous with "Islamism"
- RationalWiki "a neologism invented by neoconservatives to drum up support for war in the Middle East."
- 2015-01-21 [L..T] Muslim Scholars Demand International Blasphemy Laws "A leading Islamic organisation has called on the United Nations to make "contempt of religions" illegal and urged the West to protect Muslim communities following the attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo."
- 2007-06-21 The myth of Islamophobia by Pat Condell
- 2006-08-16 What Is 'Islamofascism'? by Stephen Schwartz
- Nick Scipio - Picture of the Day: Islamic protesters with extreme messages