Jump to navigation Jump to search
Vocabulary: a person who experiences transgendrity (n.) is transgender (adj.) or "trans" (also often used as a prefix for other transgendrity-related terms).
Transgendrity has become a social phenomenon in that:
- a significant percentage of humans are transgender, and
- this fact has only begun to be popularly and legally recognized within the past few decades, and
- transgender (aka "trans") people therefore tend to be socially marginalized and disempowered
- bigotry (usually driven by fearmongery) tends to focus on any marginalized group.
- TERFism is a reactionary gender essentialist ideology targeting trans people while masquerading as feminism.
- Transmisia is inaccurate portrayal of transgendrity or trans people, often amounting to bigotry
- Truscum are people who insist on a binary and interventionist definition of "transgender"
- Data about violence:
- /experience: the experience of being trans
- transgender youth: Transgender youth are in a particularly vulnerable position, for multiple reasons.
- Conservapedia wants us to know that "61-98% of young people outgrow their gender confusion if allowed to progress naturally." (This is unlikely to be true.)
- Social Justice Wiki
- 2018/06/22 [L..T] Woman who set self on fire in Portland park remembered as 'brilliant and tortured' artist “The 31-year-old woman walked on crutches into a downtown Portland park. Minutes later, she set herself on fire. Bystanders put out the fire that consumed Chloe Sagal, but she died from her injuries. It was an act, witnesses and friends say, that was a political protest as well as a suicide.”
- 2017/07/17 [L..T] Transgender People and “Biological Sex” Myths “...sometimes, efforts to undermine or exclude trans women rely on a somewhat different tactic which takes the following form: A case will be made that sex is distinct from gender – the former being purely biological in nature, the latter being entirely social. Upon making this claim, it will then be argued that, while trans women may indeed be women (because “woman” is a gender category), we nevertheless remain “biologically male” (a sex category).”
- 2017/06/27 [L..T] Debunking “Trans Women Are Not Women” Arguments “...since these trans-women-are-not-women claims recur on a regular basis (and are often forwarded by people who self-identify as feminists), I thought that it would be worthwhile to compile all my relevant counterarguments in one essay.”
- 2014/05/26 [L..T] Exclusive: Transgender travelers singled out in TSA screenings, docs show "Department of Homeland Security documents obtained last month reveal details of incidents in which transgender travelers were subjected to heightened scrutiny when passing through airport security checkpoints."
- 2014/05/01 [L..T] Transgender Malaysians await court decision "Transgender Muslim women say law criminalising 'posing as a woman' violates Malaysia's constitution."
- 2011/02/22 [L..T] Long-Term Follow-Up of Transsexual Persons Undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery: Cohort Study in Sweden Conclusions: “Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.”