< Conservatism | USJump to navigation Jump to search
conservatist organizations in the United States
Eventually, there will be a database of organizations which can be queried by various attributes: political ideology, type of org (think tank, etc.)... need to get some clarity on what the different types are and how to distinguish between them.
- American Action Network [W] OpenSecrets
- Americans Against Hate [W] (Joe Kaufman) (article is deleted in Wikipedia as of 2013-11-11)
- American Enterprise Institute [W] (AEI)
- Americans for Prosperity [W] (AFP)
- Americans for Tax Reform [W] founded 1985 by Grover Norquist
- American Legislative Exchange Council [W] (ALEC) SourceWatch
- Atlas Shrugs [W] is Pam Geller [W]'s blog, not an organization as such
- Becket Fund for Religious Liberty [W] "a non-profit, public interest law firm defending the freedom of religion of people of all faiths."
- Bill of Rights Institute [W] - a Koch brothers project
- Bradley Foundation [W] - foundation, founded 1942
- Cato Institute -- more libertarian than Americonservative, although they were taken over by the Koch brothers in late 2012
- Capitol Hill Daily 
- Century Strategies founded in 1997 by Ralph Reed (Ralph E. Reed Jr.); provides campaign consulting for Republican candidates
- Citizens United (W) founded 1988
- Club for Growth [W]
- Competitive Enterprise Institute [W] (CEI)
- Constitutional Rights PAC (Larry Ward)
- Declaration Alliance or Declaration Foundation (Alan Keyes [W])
- Fraser Institute [W]: Canadian right-libertarian think tank
- Ethics and Public Policy Center [W] (EPPC): social dysconservatism, "Judeo-Christian" values
- Free Enterprise Fund (FEF)
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE)
- Gear Up Foundation (Vincent Forras)
- Heartland Institute -- focused on global warming denialism in the 2000s; prior to that, helped promote the idea that smoking is healthy
- Heritage Foundation -- predicted in 2001 that the Bush tax cuts would pay down the federal deficit by 2010; in 2011, Paul Ryan based his budget proposal on numbers they provided
- John Locke Foundation -- mainly operates in North Carolina; part of Art Pope's empire
- Manhattan Institute for Policy Research [W]: libertarian think-tank established 1981 as the International Center for Economic Policy Studies by Antony Fisher and William J. Casey.
- National Center for Public Policy Research [W]
- Pacific Research Institute [W] California-based free-market think tank founded in 1979 to promote "the principles of individual freedom and personal responsibility" through policies that emphasize a free economy, private initiative, and limited government.
- Progress for America [W]
- Sons of Liberty [W] (Bradlee Dean [W]): not sure if this is a real organization or just a reference to the historical one
- United States Chamber of Commerce [W] (USCC)
- Western Journalism Center [W] (aka Western Center for Journalism) (Floyd Brown; founded in 1991 by Joseph Farah and James H. Smith)
- WorldNetDaily [W] (founded in May 1997 by Joseph Farah)
- Alliance Defending Freedom [W] (formerly Alliance Defense Fund): legal defense group, founded 1994 by Bill Bright (founder, Cru), Larry Burkett (co-founder, Crown Financial Ministries), James Dobson (founder, Focus on the Family), D. James Kennedy (founder, Coral Ridge Ministries), Marlin Maddoux (president, International Christian Media), and Donald Wildmon (founder, American Family Association)
- American Decency Association [W] (ADA) founded in 1999 by former elementary school teacher Bill Johnson; formerly Michigan chapter of AFA
- American Family Association [W] (AFA) founded in 1977 by Donald Wildmon as the National Federation for Decency
- Bob Jones University [W]
- Center for Marriage Policy  
- Cru [W] (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ) founded 1951 by Bill Bright
- Christian Coalition of America [W] founded 1989 by Pat Robertson
- Concerned Women for America [W]
- Coral Ridge Ministries [W] founded 1960 by D. James Kennedy
- Crown Financial Ministries [W] formed by 2000 merger of Christian Financial Concepts (founded 1976 by Larry Burkett) and Crown Ministries (founded 1985 by Howard Dayton).
- Eagle Forum [W] founded by Phyllis Schlafly in 1972; has close ties to Conservapedia
- Faith and Freedom Coalition [W] founded 2009 by Ralph Reed
- Family Research Council [W] founded 1981 by James Dobson
- Focus on the Family [W] founded 1977 by James Dobson
- International Christian Media founded by Marlin Maddoux 
- Liberty Counsel [W] provides free legal assistance in defense of "Christian religious liberty, the sanctity of human life, and the traditional family."
- Liberty Institute [W] founded 1971 as "Free Market Counsel". "a third tier religious right legal group at best" - Ed Brayton
- Liberty University [W]
- Mission: America [W]
- National Center for Law & Policy [W]
- National Organization for Marriage [W]
- Ruth Institute (site blog): a NOM project
- Traditional Values Coalition [W] founded 1984; designated an anti-gay hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center for spreading false information
- Moral Majority [W] founded by Jerry Falwell in 1979 and dissolved in the late 1980s.
- Project for the New American Century [W] (PNAC): infamously called for a new Pearl Harbor prior to 9/11
- Conservapedia: "pro-American, pro-Christian" alternative to Wikipedia
- Free Republic
- The Heritage Foundation
- John Locke Foundation (North Carolina)
- Interestingly, the writings of John Locke [W] himself "had an enormous influence on the development of liberalism", notably the idea of "religious toleration", according to Wikipedia
- Patriot Post "The Conservative Journal of Record"
- American Conservative: skeptical Conservatism
- Redstate: "conservative news and community"
- Sovereignty Colorado "The State and Nation are under incredible pressure to continue on the path to communist socialist rule..."
- explicitly Christian conservatist:
- Bob Jones University (Greenville, SC)
- Council of Conservative Citizens (MO) (Wikipedia)
- Liberty University - e.g. Dress Code for Women
- American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property
- Patriarchy.org (VA): "addressing the issues and legalism of patriarchy with the liberating truth of Jesus Christ"; apparently started in reaction against an excessively conservative/legalistic "patriarchy movement"
- Landover Baptist Church "Where the Worthwhile Worship"
- Betty Bowers "America's Best Christian"