|Dark Arts portal|
Propaganda is any kind of widespread broadcasting of information that seeks to persuade its audience to predetermined positions, via any of several manipulative techniques (such as emotional cues or selective omission (e.g. interpretive framing), rather than to honestly and objectively document a process of truth-discovery via honest examination of evidence.
The word is also sometimes extended to include benevolent and accurate uses of these techniques, in which they are used towards convincing people to believe or understand the truth to which the best available evidence actually points, typically as a counter to malevolent propaganda or biases inherent in human cognition or culture.
- Conservapedia actually has a pretty decent article, but categorizes it under "Liberalism" and "Liberal Traits"
- 2014/05/14 [L..T] How Five American Companies Control What You Think
- 2014/03/03 [L..T] The Washington Post Uses Biased Experts to Promote Propaganda on Venezuela
- 2011/07/02 [L..T] Dr. Cynthia Boaz: 14 propaganda techniques Fox "News" uses to brainwash Americans "Panic mongering, character assassination, and scapegoating are just three of the techniques Fox News relies on to drive its right-wing agenda forward."
- 2010/02/10 [L..T] Ridicule of Conspiracy Theories Focuses On Diffusing Criticism of the Powerful
- 2004/02/20 [L..T] Soldier for the Truth: Exposing Bush's talking-points war The neocons had three reasons for the US to invade Iraq: (1) sanctions were working, not leaving US companies in a favored position for doing business in Iraq; (2) the US needed a location for military bases; (3) the US needed to ensure that oil would continue to be traded in dollars.