Transmisia, from trans- in reference to transgenderness + -misia meaning "hatred", is irrational dislike or hatred of transgender people. It is more often called "transphobia", based on -phobia meaning fear of transgender people, but such fear by itself is not the problem. As with any form of bigotry, the problem is when the individual acts on their fear and becomes hateful towards the people they fear.
Types of Abuse
- Quotes about transmisia from survey respondents:
- "There are just pages and pages of anti-trans comments on trans related articles saying we should be killed, have mental illness, and are paedophiles."
- "He would post photos of these trans women from before and after transition, and publicly invite people to post abuse at them for being trans and how they look."
- "Transphobia from within the LGBT community is common, particularly gay men and lesbians"
- Abuse from transphobic activists:
- "I am frequently trolled by anti-trans feminists."
- "Terf hate speech is pretty constant. They tend to be very proactive in pushing hate speech and trying to prevent trans people from having acceptance, human rights and access to treatment."
- "As a trans woman online, radical feminists have called me (and often all trans women) rapists and paedophiles hundreds of times. The worst incidents involved threats to report me to the police on fabricated charges as 'a man and a rapist'."
- "I run an online trans rights campaign which is regularly targeted by transphobes who wish to say transphobic things or deny trans people identities."
- /shelters: homeless shelters denying trans people access
- 2019-12-18 [L..T] Judge rules against researcher who lost job over transgender tweets Maya Forstater, a tax expert who lost her contract at the Centre for Global Development after tweeting that transgender women cannot change their biological sex, has lost her tribunal case.
- 2019-11-15 [L..T] Researcher defends tweets on trans rights at employment tribunal “Forstater tweeted that "men cannot change into women". She has argued that her "gender critical" beliefs should be protected under the 2010 Equality Act, and she has funded her legal challenge through the CrowdJustice website.” ...“She was accused of using "offensive and exclusionary" language in tweets opposing government proposals to reform the Gender Recognition Act to allow people to self-identify as the opposite sex.“
- 2018-01-15 [L..T] Arsonist TERF thinks trans women are immoral & should be beaten "I’m quite prepared to threaten violence because it seems to me that politically what they’re seeking to do is piss on all women. That’s what they’re doing for their personal gratification. There aren’t many of them, but what really offends me is the extent to which academia and political parties have listened to them in a way that they’re not listening to us as women." – Linda Bellos
- 2017-09-04 [L..T] The Purge Of Transgender People From American Life Has Begun “Five members of Trump's evangelical executive advisory board, including the founder of the Family Research Council James Dobson, signed the Nashville Statement. The Nashville statement dictated that transgender people should not be tolerated in society, and that anyone who tolerates them is not a Christian.”
- 2004-11-01 [L..T] Why We Stopped Doing Sex Change Operations “Those I met after surgery would tell me that the surgery and hormone treatments that had made them “women” had also made them happy and contented. None of these encounters were persuasive, however. The post-surgical subjects struck me as caricatures of women.”